Thursday, March 17, 2005

Cheers, Mate . . . Nope, it just doesn't work when I say it

So I've been sitting here a while making myself sick with pictures of England. I like England a lot. I miss England a lot. I think it has a lot to do with school feeling like a colossal waste of time, but I'd like to believe I'd miss it even if my classes were . . . good. Here is a tiny list of my favorite things about England, because everyone wants to know, in no particular order:

1. Boots sandwiches
2. The statue of Constantine outside the Minster
3. The pound sign being used as an E, not an L as I'd always thought logical
4. The bakery section of Sainsbury's
5. The Sherlock Holmes-themed tube stop at Baker Street
6. Football scores being announced over the PA on the London Underground
7. Daffodils
8. Tripping over history everywhere
9. How Guy Fawkes Night is really Guy Fawkes Month
10. Those giant chocolate drinks at Evil Eye
11. How I experienced more hail there in nine months than I have in the rest of my 22 years here
12. How I still managed never to buy an umbrella
13. The Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens
14. The York library's copy of The Ringed Castle and how I had time to read 600 pages straight through twice in a row and then to take a trip to Edinburgh as a supplement to my reading
15. The way that 100% of the native population can pull off saying, "Cheers, mate."

2 comments:

L'Écureuil said...

16. Coffee Republic iced mochas. there was a CR next door to my college that made the best iced mocha, and just when i was feeling lonely, the girl behind the counter handed me a punchcard with my drink -- she'd rememebered every time i'd come in.
17. covered markets.
18. open markets.
19. very small streets.
i should stop myself here and actually get ready for latin.
::england sigh::

Anonymous said...

20. the tubes (in general)
21. how everything was so close to everything
22. "mind the gap"
23. the copper man
24. TOWER OF LONDON *and of course the pretty jewels*
25. the guards that never moved
26. Constantine's Boots
27. and even the eloping Scottish couple and the lady that said "yeahhh" a lot.

*sigh* i miss it too