Thursday, December 23, 2010

In Which Simon Fails to be Disgusted


My intention yesterday was to use one of the two jars of curry sauce that I have for some reason, but I forgot that I did not have any vegetables. I went to the store a few days ago but they had no cauliflower and I really wanted cauliflower so I decided I would eat something else and then go back. So I did. And then I forgot to go back on the appointed day of curry-eating. And then it was 6 p.m. and I was too hungry to go to the store, so I scrounged around and found those horrifying Quorn Fungus Nuggets (go here for previous post) in my freezer. And I guess I was in an experimental mood because I decided to have some.

I'm sorry to say my reaction was not very interesting. They taste as much like chicken as chicken does these days, which is to say, not much. The inside bears a strong visual resemblance to whatever is in a chicken nugget (presumably chicken, but I wouldn't bet my life on it) but is slightly more rubbery. They are not horrible. They are not delicious. They are a bit dry. They don't taste like mushrooms, but they don't taste like much else, either. If they had not had a coating of bread crumbs and fat, I would not have finished them out of sheer boredom. I still think mycoprotein is a revolting idea, but if there were nothing else left to eat in the world, I could live with it.

No comments: